Abortion Clinic Arsonist Wanted for Child Molestation

“Save the babies!” Yeah, right.

The tips started coming in shortly after authorities released surveillance photos of a man suspected of groping an 11-year-old girl at a Fred Meyer store in Snohomish.

The callers were certain the thin man in glasses was Curtis Anton Beseda, who once served 12 years in federal prison for setting fire to abortion clinics in Western Washington in the 1980s.

At least three people said they were “100 percent sure” it was Beseda, including an employee at an Everett restaurant he was said to frequent; a person who went to college with him; and a former high-school classmate, according to Snohomish County prosecutors.

Trouble is, no one knows where he is.

… Snohomish County prosecutors allege that Beseda, 58, was at the Fred Meyer store at 2801 Bickford Ave. on Jan. 27 when he approached an 11-year-old girl who was waiting for her father outside a restroom.

Beseda leaned so close to the girl she could feel his breath on her ear, then he pressed his pelvis into her backside and fondled her buttocks and thigh, prosecutors wrote in the affidavit of probable cause that lays out the state’s case.

He left when a Starbucks employee approached them, court documents say.

The girl told police that the man offered to buy the drink she was holding and “sneak” it to her outside, court documents say. She also said she was afraid the man was trying to lure her from the store and was “trying to do something bad,” prosecutors say.

Video surveillance corroborated the girl’s story, police and prosecutors said.

… The person who knew Beseda from college described him as having “unique mannerisms” and a condition that apparently compels him to hover at doorways, entering and exiting several times, before finally going in or out, court documents indicate.

Prosecutors say the video obtained from the Fred Meyer store shows the suspect going partially in and out of the sliding door before exiting.

…At his trial in U.S. District Court, Beseda admitted to setting the fires, saying he did it for the “glory of God.” He also said he made sure there were no people inside because he didn’t want to hurt anyone.

He said he was unhappy he caused people emotional distress but was glad that he might have helped prevent some abortions.

He served 12 years of a 20-year sentence and was released in 1996, according to court documents.

While imprisoned, Beseda became a martyr for the anti-abortion movement and was honored at a national anti-abortion banquet in 1995, according to The Associated Press.

In 1997 he was taken back into custody on a parole violation and rereleased in 2003, court documents show.

Since then, he has accrued three misdemeanor convictions for criminal trespassing and fourth-degree assault, according to court documents.

Anti-abortion arsonist sought; accused of groping girl at store. The Seattle Times, 2/10/2014.

Your comments

AGB via Email

Enter email address to subscribe AGB & get notifications of new posts